Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mobile Number Portability

This time, I would like to say something about my mobile operator. Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited. I was fed up with the services that the great MTNL was offering me. MTNL is a network with unmatched business and calls that never get through. My parents, when they try to call me, always ended up either banging the phone or banging my ears, when they get through.

Yesterday, I got a message from the operator that I had 5 missed calls. I thought, ok. Lets see. Further, they asked me to send some message which will cost me ` 1. Whatever. I sent the message. I got 3 numbers. The first one, I recognized as my friend’s, who lives 3 floors above me. I called him, as I wanted to know why he called me. The message said that he had called me at 1008 hrs. I called him at around 2230 hrs. Still, I wanted to know, why he called me. He was astonished. He didn’t call me at all the whole day. Then, he checked his mobile’s Call Log. We found out an interesting thing. He called me 2 days back at 1008 hrs and the message is coming now!!!????? Nice network!!!

When I was back home, last year I think, I had my BSNL connection. BSNL is MTNL in other states. I sent a message to one of my friends. I was expecting reply from him. He didn’t reply. At last, I ringed up and asked. He told that he didn’t received any message. I had free messages, that is why I always send messages. A week or two later, he rang me up and was firing at me. I was astonished. What the hell happened?? He showed me the message he just got. It was the message that I had sent him earlier. Weeks ago!!!!!!!

Back to MTNL, there is another incident that took place last month. In January. I sent a message from my Reliance number to two of my classmates. One of our professors had announced a quiz. I wanted to inform those guys about that. They both use MTNL numbers. I just sent them a single message. I think they pit some High gain amplifier or a multiplier in series with it. I don’t know what it is. Anyways, my friends got the message 250 times. I repeat 250 times. ?????!!!!!!!!! In fact, my friend was saying, if I didn’t get enough marks in that quiz, I should be hanged because I was so enthusiastic about the quiz that, I informed the same thing 250times!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That day, I stopped sending them messages from my Reliance. No other person, I mean, persons who are subscribed to other operators, has complained to me about this. Long live MTNL!!!!!!!!!

At this juncture, I saw this.



I was relieved, excited. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I had my Mid Semester Exams coming in. So, I decided to wait to switch my operator till the exams get over. In the middle of exams, I saw this article in The Mumbai Mirror, dated 24th February, 2011. I had to rethink my option. Especially, when I heard this guy’s story.

I considered Mobile Number Portability for one reason. I need not waste any time sending messages to my friends, saying that I am changing my number. My total contacts would exceed 120. Notifying all of them is a very big pain in the a**. But, if the operators behave like this, what will I do??

Eventually, I have decided to change my operator and the number. No more bangings from my parents, friends and relatives, who try to call me and the great MTNL disappoints them all. Maybe. by the time, I publish this, I might have changed my number. If anybody is thinking about porting their number, give it a second thinking.

Thats all for now. Thank you for your comments on the previous posts.







Courtesy: For Video : INX Networks and istream.in
For The Article: The Times of India, Mumbai Mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment